I rarely have time to cook meals. In fact, there are days that I cannot even cook a dish so we opt to buy food on cafeterias or fast food chains (eek!). Having no Yaya is really a distress especially on busier days in the office. There was one day that my husband told me to cook vegetable-based dishes so we are at least eating healthy once in a while. Gabriel, on the other hand, is always eating vegetables at my in-laws’ home while we’re away from work. Good for him! Thanks to his Mamsie and Papsie! 🙂
As an attempt to cook a healthy meal at home, I cooked Garlic Buttered Chicken and Veggies for our lunch earlier. It is an easy-to-prepare meal for the family plus that is budget friendly! This dish can be just garlic buttered vegetables alone, but I put on chicken breast for an added taste of the meal. I personally love chicken especially the breast part as it is loaded with protein and more nutritious than any other chicken parts. Good for those who are on a diet, too! (We’re not on a diet! We’re an always hungry family, lol!)
Nothing’s too fancy with this dish as I am not a chef at all. You may even put additional vegetables to the dish if you wish to. But cabbage, potatoes, and carrots are all I have in the vegetable compartment of our fridge and I feel too lazy to go to the wet and dry market, so you know. 😛
Without further ado, here’s my simple recipe for the Garlic Buttered Chicken and Vegetables.
What you’ll need:
- 1/4 kilo Chicken Breast, cleaned and cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 Cabbage, sliced
- 1 Carrot diced
- 1-2 Potatoes diced
- 4-6 cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1 red onion, minced
- 1- 1 1/2 tbsp of Butter – I used Anchor since it’s what we have in our fridge
- Golden Flaxseed Meal, optional (I had this as a gift and since I am not yet into baking, I use it as addition to almost every meal that I cook. Even in oatmeals and eggs!)
- Salt and Pepper
- Heat a non-stick frying pan or wok with vegetable oil.
- Throw in 1/4 of the minced garlic and set aside the left over for a while. Put in the minced onion next.
- Toss in the chicken cubes, and let it sit for about 2 minutes.
- Pour 1/2 cup of water, the carrots and potatoes. Cover and let it simmer for 5-10 minutes. Stir occasionally. ** In my case, since the chicken breast is already pre-cooked and kept in the freezer over the weekend, simmering process doesn’t have to take too long. I just make the carrots and potatoes soft enough so my baby can chew it with ease.
- When water is almost already subsiding put in the sliced cabbage and stir so it will be cooked along side with the carrots and potatoes. Cover for another 5 minutes. TIP: Avoid overcooking the cabbage! It will have a stinky smell if you do so.
- When the vegetables are soft enough, put in the butter and remaining garlic and stir to coat the chicken and veggies evenly. By this time you may already add salt and pepper to add some flavor – depends on your preference on how much you will put.
- Cover for another 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with Golden Flaxseed Meal on top – to your preference.
- Serve with hot brown rice. Enjoy!
NOTE: My 10-month old baby is already eating table food so he eats whatever I cook for myself and my husband. But I don’t want him having too much butter and seasonings so I set aside his portion before doing steps 6-7. 🙂 Just thought I should explain that part as a mother. Hihi
Live. Laugh. Love. Write. Pray.